April 17, 2015 in Dev Blog
April 15, 2015 in Dev Blog
We’ve been busy building additional missions today. Tom has been working hard adapting a program called Tiled to make our mission building process quicker, this also involves working on the way Tiled works with Starbound.
Below is a look of what Armagon has been working on, using Tiled he’s been designing a new Avian mission.
We’re hoping to make this adaptation user friendly enough to release it to public one day!
Kyren has been working on a new server code, which essentially reworks the way client messages are sent, making it much more efficient and stable. There will be at least one more unstable update involved in this while the last few bugs are being worked out of the system.
April 13, 2015 in Dev Blog
Hello, it’s a new week and we’re back at work after a nice weekend and are going at new content as much as ever!
We’ve worked on various things including more weapons, more concepts, more enemies, more missions, more stuff. Here’s a few hints:
See you later with more Starbound stuff!
April 10, 2015 in Uncategorized
Hey there, happy end of the week! I’ve been working on some assets and layouts for the next mission, which I’ll hopefully be able to show a bit of when it’s a bit more complete. GeorgeV, Supernorn and Necotho have been continuing work on the NPC characters that you’ve all been seeing us develop for the past few weeks.
“It’s very unfinished!” – George
Kyren, Metadept and the programmers are working on an update to the Unstable branch, which is set to be released tonight. Those playing on the Unstable branch can look forward to that!
I hope you all have a good weekend. Until next time!
April 9, 2015 in Dev Blog
Hello, George here!
Molly is on vacation/holiday. So the rest of us will be filling here for a bit. :)
We’ve also been working on some sound effects and ambient soundscapes for various areas such as the outpost and the teleportation cinematic, as well as continuing to address the in-game economy.
Lastly the programmers have been fixing bugs in the current unstable branch in preparation of an unstable update which will hopefully be coming really soon.
Until next time!
We’ve continued to work on new missions and challenge rooms, as well as character animations and portraits. :) Our internet’s back up though, so I actually have some to show you! Hooray!
They’re all works in progress, of course. Let us know what you think!
EDIT: Because there’s some confusion, I just wanted to point out that these are unique NPCs that you’ll encounter as you progress throughout the game. They’re not new character customization options!
We’ve returned from the long Easter weekend all refreshed and ready to take on the next week’s worth of work. Hope everyone here had a lovely holiday, too! :)
Today we’ve been working on:
- various animations for unique NPCs
- implementation of unique NPCs
- character portraits
- new missions!
- improvements to the way we design dungeon parts — keeping file size down, making it easier to add objects to existing maps
- unstable branch bug fixes
Here’s an updated portrait of your friendly neighbourhood Avian — sorry for the potato quality photo! We’ve been having some technical difficulties today. I should have better images for you tomorrow.
‘Til then! <3
April 3, 2015 in News
Hello! It’s a long weekend (Happy Easter, if you celebrate it!), so I’ve got something a bit different for you today.
We were recently reached out to by Thomas Bull– a 16 year old Youtuber and one of ~10,000 sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis (CF) in the UK. Cystic Fibrosis is a rare-but-serious genetic lung condition, and average the life expectancy for CF patients is just 36 years. Despite the severity of the disease, CF sufferers in the UK have to fund their own treatment after the age of 18, despite the fact that they need these medications to survive.
One of Thomas’ methods for coping with his illness is raising funds and awareness. In the past he’s done this by raffling off hundreds of pounds (£) worth of video games and streamed games for over 24 hours in order to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust. He’s involved in an ongoing campaign petitioning the UK government to provide free medication for sufferers of CF. He’s been featured on national television and radio, and his petition has (at time of writing) 18.7k signatures!
Last year, though, Thomas started #CF5DayLive, a five day livestream with friends on Twitch.tv. By the end they’d raised $1600 for charity, but this year they’re hoping to do even better. Streamers involved include TheJellyTom, VideoGameNerdMan, HiTrix, SwordfishPlays, Mrsomedude, Teaisformugs_, NihonTiger, TheSpydersilk, Twoshotsgaming, and Soboy.
We want to help! They’ve got lots of games to stream, as well as keys to giveaway that are unlocked based on donation milestones — Starbound keys among them!
They’ll be streaming from April 4th @ 12PM BST to April 10th @ 12PM BST– that’s 120 hours! Relevant links below:
It’s been a busy month and a half since our last stable update, and now it’s time for the unstable branch to be updated in preparation for the next! Before I get to the actual patch notes, please read this big red warning text:
As of this patch, the ‘Home’ planet feature has been replaced by planet bookmarks and direct teleporters. EXISTING CHARACTERS WILL LOSE THEIR HOME PLANETS!!! Make sure to write down your home planet’s coordinates or leave your ship in orbit so that you don’t lose track of its location.
Now, on to the good stuff!
- Players can now save planet locations in the cockpit navigation interface
- Select a planet, then select ‘Add Bookmark’ to bookmark it
- Select a bookmarked planet from the list to set it as your navigation target
- Players can now place and register teleporters on planets
- Interact with a teleporter to add it to your list of registered destinations, which you can return to from any other teleporter
- Can also be used to teleport directly to party members
- Find Teleporter Cores in the world
- New Outpost store, the 2-Stop Teleshop, lets you use a Teleporter Core to create various types of teleporters to suit your style
- Breaking a teleporter destroys it, but refunds the Teleporter Core
- Outpost store includes a teleporter you can register for easy access to the outpost
- After logging out, players will be returned to the place in the world where they left (rather than back on the ship)
- Mission dungeons will persist for 10 minutes after all players have left, allowing continuation of a mission after dying
- Mission dungeons now have teleporters at the entrance and exit, should help clarify how and when to leave
- Players can no longer be attacked while teleporting
- Players can no longer initiate another teleport while teleporting
- Teleport cinematic while destination world is loading
- All player ships should now be inhabited by a non-combat pet corresponding to the character’s race, in one of a wide variety of color options
- Pets will investigate held items and various ship objects
- Pets can be fed and will develop preferences for certain foods
- Terramart now sells several pet-related items
- Food Bowl to keep your pet fed while you’re busy adventuring
- Pet Ball for your pets to play with
- Pet House for your pets to sleep in adorably
- Ancient Gates now have another destination, a huge and ancient ruin
- Gives a few clues about Starbound’s overarching plot… so mysterious!
- NPCs and ground monsters now jump accurately and reliably find paths across complex terrain
- NPCs and ground monsters are much better at avoiding and escaping liquids
- NPCs and ground monsters should become stuck MUCH less often
- Can be found underground on Radioactive worlds
- Includes various unique items and a new furniture set
- Reworked Apex, Avian, Floran, Glitch and Hylotl name generators to be much less (but still a little bit) silly.
- Changes to melee weapon responsiveness, damage sounds and visual feedback. Lots more of this coming in a future update!
- Ranged weapons now have varying accuracy depending on the weapon type, quality and rate of fire
- Player energy now refills much more rapidly and has a shorter delay before regenerating
- Various improvements to server architecture which should greatly improve server performance and stability
- Various improvements to internal handling of Lua API calls which should greatly reduce CPU usage, particularly in areas with many monsters or NPCs
- Many small improvements and fixes to objects throughout the game, including updating 3d printing costs in preparation for future additions to the game’s economy
- Scroll bars can now be clicked and dragged properly
- Fixed several bugs with codexes. Codexes are now retained across universes. Existing players will, unfortunately, have their codexes reset.
- Moons are now generated with solid cores to help avoid falling out the bottom
- Several improvements to grass placement, also add underground ceiling grasses to several biomes
- Fix bug where music volume changed in combat
- Several small improvements to AI interface
- Removed the annoying levitation status from random status pods
- Added optimizations and cyrillic character fixes for Hobo font. Thanks to user dsp2003 for this fix!
Existing characters and universes are safe (aside from the codexes and home planet, as listed above). However, a few of these changes may require a new universe or new planets to take effect. Hope you all enjoy the changes, and for those of you playing on the Unstable branch, let us know if you find any bugs or have other feedback!
We recorded a short video for tonight to test out the upcoming combat changes. :) Tiyuri, Supernorn, GeorgeV and Armagon did a quick run through the Lunar Base mission. Let us know what you think!
EDIT: Reposted because comments weren’t working properly. Also, I’d like to point out that these combat changes are not part of this unstable update, but will be part of the next one.