Quick combat post tonight – Healthire added this super cool jump-stabby secondary ability! Now you can reenact that scene from Final Fantasy 7 where Sephiroth does the thing! But with added bouncing, which to me is an improvement. What do you think?
‘Til tomorrow! <3
Welcome to another week of Starbound!
Today we’re back to work on more exciting content for the combat update. I’m helping Healthire create more secondary abilities for weapons. Here’s one we’re prototyping for spears:
The art team has been creating some amazing concept art for new content that I’m not allowed to talk about just yet, tomc is making more exciting progress on generated quests, and kyren is working on some changes to the physics system in preparation for new features like vehicles and moving platforms. Hopefully later in the week we can go into a bit more detail on some of these!
While a major focus of the next update revolves around Combat, we’ve also been putting some much needed work into the underground. This involves creating fancy new parallaxes for each layer, as the player digs their way down. Take a look at these examples below, and let us know what you think!
In Chucklefish related news, we recently got our hands on the much anticipated Stardew Valley. We had a great time streaming it live via Twitch, and you can check out our sneak peek in ConcernedApe’s latest Dev Update!
That’s all for today!
Oh hey! Hylotl villages are coming! Rejoice!
Underwater Hylotl cities are being worked on as well – initially there were some challenges with spawning a city underwater, but that’s no longer an issue! We’ll keep you updated. :)
We’re going to be streaming ~something~ on ChucklefishLive in a few, too.
A new hotfix was pushed to stable last night, fixing several performance issues, bugs and problems with balance. Here’s a list of the changes.
- Combat colony tags have been added to Weapon Chests and Gun Chests
- The Bonesmith tenant will now spawn correctly
- Chef tenants now spawn correctly (not random races anymore)
- Agaran merchants now correctly sell their wares (the items have a sell price now)
- Other items also got a sell price (Fluorescent Helmet, Wizard Hat, Mushroom Sword, etc.)
- Small description fixes on a few items, such as ship walls
- Hazmat NPCs now say “unidentified microorganisms” instead of “unknown bacteria”
- Tenants catch fire less (less fire interactions with items like hand dryers)
- Fixing a small visual bug on Apex feet
- Lighting tweaks on most light objects (not sure how they were changed, but they were)
- The people who had bad performance and then fixed it by resizing the window should now have better performance all the time, without needing to resize the window
Please let us know how this patch has effected Starbound’s performance for you! <3
Since the last update, we’ve been super busy getting right to work on the next one – the Combat Update!
Healthire has been working on alternate weapon abilities, like this sparkly sword ability that looks anime as heck.
Supernorn has also improved one of the underground parallaxes, and there are more underground parallax improvements still to come. What do you think?
‘Til tomorrow! <3